Latest Blog Post

Flash your ESP32 based Player with the latest firmware via web browser!

  sle118 , one of the main developers of SqueezeESP32 (aka Squezzelite-ESP32) has concentrated over the past of weeks on reworking the build system, paving the way to a full integration with the esp-web-tools. Which allows flashing a complete set of binaires from the web browser. The current state of the web browser based firmware installer is just from the look and feel still very simplified, but it's up to date with the latest firmware builds and easy to use. This is another important step to make ESP32 WROVER based music players even more accessible to the general public. Minimum requirements: Web Browser: Chromium based like Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge OS: Windows, macOS, ... Driver: Make sure you have the right USB/Serial drivers installed like: CP2102 CH341 Web firmware installer: https://sle118.github.io/squeezelite-esp32-installer/          

ESP MUSE Mn Cast unboxing surprise - Ooh LA LA - oui oui

Hmmm yummi ... Gummi Bears from HARIBO


Ooh LA LA ... the black beauty, instead of the also pre orderd white one.
 
For your background, I have pre-ordered both a black & white ESP MUSE Mn Cast.

When I had then read this info on raspiaudio but had not received an e-mail. I panicked a bit. Since I knew that I pre-ordered both colors and then thought to myself, not that they have just overseen that fact and I now have to wait until the black are also delivered. Therefore, I assumed the white one.
 


But now the hand written B on the box makes much more sense. Because I have seen the B before unpacking but thought of nothing special, except of fake Beats headphones. 🤣

BTW, of course I have already tested a bit. Therefore, I can already say that the preinstalled firmware is much too old and only causes problems. This went so far that I thought at some point the player is broken. Because when I tried to install a newer/better firmware via OTA, the player behaved like bricked.

But since I already know from my experiences with various other developer boards, that you can not really brick these ESP32 boards via software. I knew exactly how I can quickly fix the problem.

I flashed the latest 2.x FW (I2S-4MFlash.16.1223.master-v4.3) as recovery only, to have this as solid base, to then update to the lates stable 1.x fw. As I have done with all my other boards/players. (the 2.x recovery only fw can be found here) Then the OTA updated had no more issues. Since then, the Mn Cast has been running like a clockwork. It is now ready to be tested extensively.

Oh, the very strangely behaving volume control and the pressing of the same, I have also fixed already yesterday. The press function has not done anything and the volume control was reversed in the installed firmware. If you turned to the right, volume turned down and vice versa. With the following solution it works as expected. In addition when pressing the volume dial longer, left right switches to previous/next song. A long press again brings you back to volume control.

Via NVS Editor (to activate: Credits > [x] Show NVS Editor):

add/replace

  • rotary_config: A=32,B=19,SW=0,volume,longpress

delete

  • actrls_config: boutons 
  • boutons: [{\"gpio\":36, \"type\":\"BUTTON_LOW\", \"debounce\":200,\"normal\":{\"pressed\":\"ACTRLS_VOLDOWN\"}},{\"gpio\":39, \"type\":\"BUTTON_LOW\",\"debounce\":200,\"normal\":{\"pressed\":\"ACTRLS_VOLUP\"}}]

The ESP MUSE Mn Cast has only 1 button (not FR boutons 😜 ) and it seems to be hardwired to standby.

So that's it for the unboxing and first switch on. An in-depth test/review will follow. But first I have to take care of the beginner's guide for non-IT professionals incl. LMS.

And since this is all about music, here's something for your ears, with a bit of french flavour. 🥳


Comments

  1. Mn cast comes with "master-cmake" flavour of squeezelite-esp32. Any reason you've used "master-v4.3" branch ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use "master-v4.3" fw: 2.x branch as recovery on all my ESP32 audio players. Recovery will be only used in case of issues, not as main system. And "master-v4.3" fw: 2.x has much more and better features than any "master-cmake" fw 1.x.

      Delete
  2. sle118 here. Most of the development efforts and improvements over the past several months have been done in the master-v4.3 branch. That branch includes some bug fixes, support for Ethernet adapters as well as a spotify rendering client. The only reason why it is not yet the main branch is that some areas may still contain some minor bugs. More early adopters means issues can be discovered sooner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment